Founded by Robert Thorne in 1794, specializing in display types. The foundry was bought by William Thorowgood in 1820, by Robert Besley in 1849, became Reed & Fox in 1866 and closed in 1906, after which designs passed to Stephenson Blake. [MyFonts]
Contributed by Nick Sherman
Contributed by Stephen Coles
Contributed by Johannes Vandenheuvel
Contributed by Florian Hardwig
Contributed by Garrison Martin
Photo(s) by Bart Solenthaler on Flickr.