Successor to the foundry of Nicolaas Tetterode (1816–1894) which was founded in Rotterdam in 1851 and moved to Amsterdam in 1857. Did business as Lettergieterij „Amsterdam” voorheen N. Tetterode (“Typefoundry ‘Amsterdam’ previously N. Tetterode”) since 1901. Also known as LA (“Ella”). The name Typefoundry Amsterdam was used internationally, too.
Cooperations with Berthold (since 1927) and ATF (after WWII). Merged with paper wholesaler Bührmann in 1963. The foundry closed in 1988, typefaces went to Neufville in Barcelona. [Klingspor-Museum] The rights to the typefaces were transferred to Linotype in Oct. 2000. [MyFonts]