The Syrian conflict has been going on for a while now, yet my personal understanding of politics has been poor. So I took a typographic assignment as an opportunity to learn. The research took up most of the process. I found a compelling survey conducted by ORB. Tackling and selecting the data out of numerous pages boosted me up with motivation, as I realized how discouraging it is to comprehend such vital information from a visually dense, mundane and difficult document.
Curating not only the data, but also the formal elements of my project was a thrill. It involved thorough research of activist typefaces that work for print, and quantitative numerals. Moreover, selecting an appropriate color palette involved considering what will be appealing at first sight, enough to invite the viewer to take a closer look. Eventually, all explorations of visual representations were converted into meaningful and legible charts.