Lippische Landes-Zeitung nameplate
The Lippische Landes-Zeitung (LZ) is a daily newspaper for Lippe, a district in the east of North Rhine-Westphalia. Its history goes back to the Lippische Intelligenzblätter, founded in 1767. The paper has been published under its current title since 1878, making it one of the oldest daily newspapers in Germany. [Wikipedia]
The nameplate features letterforms that are – loosely, but still observably – based on Rudolf Koch’s Deutsche Schrift, with some horizontal stretching, more compact extenders, and a nested La pair. It’s also used for the sign on the facade.
The LZ website has a photo of a previous sign with the name in one line. The letterforms are similar, but not identical. The photo is undated. The lettering directly above the door appears to read “Buchdruckerei und Verlag Hermann Bösmann”. Bösmann rented the print shop from the British occupation authorities in 1945, after World War II, and relaunched the newspaper in 1949.