This folded city map of Vienna was issued by Kaufhäuser Brüder Haber (KBH) in 1930. The department store was established by the Brothers Haber. At the time, there were two locations: a clothing store at Neubaugasse 24 and one for furniture and home decor at Mariahilferstrasse 90, both in the central VII. District.
The map measures 44×39 cm when opened. On the outside, KBH advertise their offerings and depict the buildings. While the extracondensed textura for the title is lettering, most text is set in two weights of Nova, an in-house design first cast by the Berthold foundry around 1924, in roman, italic, and bold styles. Nick Curtis digitized the bold weight as Maple Leaf Rag NF in 2013. The addresses on the cover use Lo-Schrift, another design with rugged contours. Conceived by Louis Oppenheim and issued by Berthold in 1914, it was revived by Erik Spiekermann in 1980, under the name LoType. Berthold had a branch in Vienna since 1905.
Being Jewish, members of the Haber family had to flee the Nazis. The company was “aryanized” under the pretext of tax evasion, and in 1939, the Habers emigrated to Palestine. They returned in 1948, and for a while, Georg Haber (1938–2019) worked in the parental department store. He later served as director of Vienna’s Jewish Museum.