La Libertà Economica was an economics magazine founded in Bologna in November 1903 by Alberto Giovannini (who recognized himself as a pupil of Tullio Martello and therefore he followed the so-called “Ferrara school”) and directed by him until it ended its publications in 1926.
When at the congress of Bologna (October 8–10, 1922) a series of groups of varied liberal inspiration tried to give themselves a national organizational structure founding the Italian Liberal Party, Giovannini became its secretary and his magazine in some way the organ up to the end of its publication.
The magazine’s masthead uses Herman Ihlenburg’s Columbus (MacKellar, Smiths & Jordan, 1890), which is used in smaller point sizes for other indications on the front and back cover. Columbus was locally available from Urania under the name Columbia (later also from Società Augusta as Victor Hugo and from Reggiani as Rossana).
Other typefaces used are Old Style Extended (Central Type Foundry, circa 1892), Regina-Kursiv (Berthold, circa 1895, available from Augusta as Mercurio), Latin Condensed (Stephenson Blake, 1873), Murillo (Schelter & Giesecke, 1897, carried by Urania as Estienne), and an unidentified Modern/Scotch with italic and bold. The condensed grotesque used at the bottom appears to be Bauer’s Neueste schmale Grotesk or similar. The light sans used for the number and date at the top as well as for “Succursali” looks like Schelter & Giesecke’s Breite magere Grotesk, which was sold by Reggiani as Eia.