Pine Knob Music Theatre logo (1972–2001)
The original logo of Pine Knob Music Theatre was based on Blippo Black. At some point in the 1980s, the all-lowercase logo was redone in the similar ITC Bauhaus Heavy. The differences are most obvious in the angled e bar and the diagonal s spine.
Pine Knob Music Theater (later known as DTE Energy Music Theater) is an outdoor amphitheater located in Independence Township, Michigan, approximately 40 miles (64 km) northwest of Detroit (it has a Clarkston, Michigan mailing address). Built by the Nederlander Organization in the early 1970s, it was originally known as “Pine Knob Music Theatre” due to its proximity to the nearby Pine Knob ski area and golf course. The name was changed before the 2001 concert season when DTE Energy (the parent company of Detroit Edison) purchased the naming rights to the amphitheater in a ten-year, $10 million deal. Despite this change, many people still continue to call the venue “Pine Knob”, “The Knob”, or “The Hill”.
Palace Sports and Entertainment, which owns the Detroit Pistons and operates Meadow Brook Music Festival, purchased the amphitheater in 1990. Annually, it ranks among the top-selling outdoor concert venues in the world and has won dozens of awards in the industry, including Pollstar’s Best Major Outdoor Concert Venue (2000), Billboard’s Top Amphitheater for attendance (2011) and Pollstar’s Top Amphitheater Venue Worldwide for total tickets sold (2011, 2019).
The venue has hosted a who’s who of classic rock icons including the likes of Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band, Aerosmith, Eddie Money, Gary Numan, and Marshall Tucker Band.
- unknown (1958)