From the 1937 official handbook to the Port of Leith, issued by the Leith Chamber of Commerce, and giving a description of the then busy harbour and docks that served Edinburgh and the Lothians. The handbook gives details of the infrastructure, services and sailings from Leith as well as the fishing port at adjacent Newhaven. It also lists various statistics as to the volume, origin and destination of the various cargoes handled by the port.
Shown below is a rather fine aerial view of the harbour, docks and surrounding streets and railway lines of Leith, westwards along the Forth Estuary towards Newhaven and Granton. Needless to say all this has changed massively. After decades of decline and contraction – all the coal shipped from here, for example, via those railway sidings, had vanished and the Docks were almost moribund. In recent years it has become the site of much urban renewal and redevelopment with, for example, the old Royal Yacht now berthed here as a tourist attraction. Currently the Edinburgh tram system is being extended back into the area to help transport links for further development.